Saturday, November 22, 2014

Garbage! Garbage Everywhere!

Let's talk about trash shall we? When I came here from India, which unfortunately has gigantic amounts of trash, I thought Salalah looked pretty clean. It isn't. It gets dirtier all the time. There are easily accessible dustbins all around the city, yet trash is flung from cars and left on the beach with disregard that leaves me breathless.

And grumpy. It makes me grumpy as all get out, as my dear old grandma used to say. Yes, we have people who routinely pick through the trash as they look for enough plastic and cardboard boxes in order to piece together a meal. It certainly helps, though not the way a good recycling center would. Back home (and how I hate it when we all whinge on about "back home"), but back home recycling is almost like a religion. Tin cans and glass containers are separated and put into different bins. Paper goes in another bin. If you are like some of my family, food leftovers are composted for a garden. Obviously that particular aspect of life is dying out as people give up gardening for their own food, but it is part of the mindset. Fanatical recycle-rs used to annoy the crud out of me. I kinda get it now. You know what my epiphany was? I went swimming in a cove in Mirbat the other weekend.

I had to get out of the water. As I waded out, I saw that my legs were surrounded by soda bottles and potato chip bags. It was gross. Gross and discouraging. What's next? Faziya? I have watched families on beaches bbq, then simply leave all their junk right where it was. The good news is there is a movement afoot to clean up Oman. Alhamdulilah.

I will be the first to admit my carbon footprint stinks. We consume too much water out of plastic bottles; we throw away a lot of stuff. Honestly, I'm not sure I can easily become one of those people who sorts everything into a separate bin, to be collected from the side of the road by the trash patrol, to be taken to a recycling center. However, "back home," it's the law. You can't even drop a cigarette on the ground without getting a fine should a passing police officer sees you. Society doesn't like it either. Someone sees you leave a butt on the ground, or your doggie leaving his digested dinner in a big pile on the sidewalk, and they will correct your behavior. People freak out over trash.

Even India is trying to change, despite the shocking level of trash created by a large population living in very tight quarters. Plastic bags are losing favor quickly. Shop keepers are likely to wrap your goods in a newspaper. A entire cottage industry exists now of  smarties making bags out of newspapers! Last time I was in Kerala, I felt I saw a difference. I can't say for sure, but it seemed cleaner. Bravo. I hope Oman continues to be the place where "Beauty Has An Address."


Photo taken from a Times of Oman article

Jumping from trash to cake...how's that for a transition...I triumphantly announce I made a cake that is my very own recipe. I took a few clues from the pound cakes I've already made, and modified this and that. I am quite happy with the result. I reduced the sugar, increased the baking powder, and used cream instead of milk. It's delish. I even woke up this morning and saw a wee nibble taken from it, with the slice tucked back into the cake. 

Felicia's Pound Cake

1 c. butter, softened but cool
2 c. sugar
5 eggs, room temperature
3 c. flour, sifted
1 t baking powder
pinch of salt
1 c. whipping cream
1 t coconut extract
1 t almond extract
1 t vanilla

Be aware that pound cake lends itself to any old flavor extract you have on hand. It's that awesome.

Beat butter and sugar in a mixer until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and continue beating until light and creamy. Add extracts and blend. 

Sift dry ingredients and fold into sugar mix, alternating with cream. Pour into a greased and floured bundt or loaf pan. 

Bake at 325 for about 45 minutes, or until toothpick clean. Do not preheat the oven; start the cake cold. I don't know why this works better, but it does.


I did add a glaze later to the mutilated cake. 

Welp, thanks for sticking with me. The cake goes to work tomorrow because I don't need to weigh more than my already awesome....yeah no. Not telling you how much I weigh. 

Love,

Felicia El Aid

No comments:

Post a Comment