Monday, December 22, 2014

Here a Wadi, There a Wadi...Dog That Is.

My husband and I were hugely unsuccessful at dog ownership here in Salalah. First, honestly, I don't like them very much. They have hair, and they smell and need a lot of attention. They chew things. Lots of things.

But he likes dogs. And dogs like him. Fortunately they often give me a wide berth, sensing my disdain. A year ago, we saw an advert for a six month old dog who needed a new home. I went and got him. Why? Because I love my husband, and he really wanted a dog. It was hell. The dog reverted back to peeing and pooing all over the house, and while I was in America, got into my things and destroyed a school picture of my daughter (it had her little handprint on it!). I never forgave the dang thing. 

I am softer than I act though. Last Spring, we saw a tiny puppy lost in traffic. Of course we stopped and brought her home. She had a bath and food. After acclimating to the house, she started barking. Her bark was a high, piercing bark that made our neighbors wish to strangle us along with the dog. Warnings were issued by the owners of the complex, and we had to find new homes for the dogs. I try not to think about it. Ever. Dogs are easily heartbroken, and I'm sure the older dog was deeply traumatized. Moving with a dog wasn't an option...we tried. No Omani landlord will accept tenants with a dog..not that we could find.  Jako even had to move up north, after unsuccessfully living on this family's farm. To this day, I feel sick over it. I didn't want Jako, but I didn't want him to suffer either. 

Enter Tita. We live in an apartment building now, and the other morning I opened the door and saw a puppy of about 10 weeks sleeping on the doormat. We've heard a dog crying sometimes in the alleyway as local children torment any puppy they find. Omanis, for the most part, absolutely loathe dogs, taking cultural Islam to extremes. Wadi dogs are shot for fun on the beach, kicked, and beaten. Puppies on the farms are put down, because packs of wild dogs here are a real problem for farmers. They go after goats and calves, even baby camels if the pack is big enough. I think there is a huge difference though between shooting wild dogs because they are a danger to your livestock and just hurting them for fun. 

So the new puppy. Mehdi said to feed her. I did. The upstairs neighbor brought down a steel bowl and two cans of dog food. Her ears are twizzled when they walk by. I vowed the dang dog was NOT coming in the house. Two days ago I went and bought more dog food. Saturday night she went on a merry jaunt in the truck to the Oasis. Last night she went to Lulus and waited for me with the husband.  I looked at the dog while she perched up by the window, tail wagging, then sleeping happily with her head on Mehdi's leg. Things have come to a pretty pass haven't they? And guess who slept on a nice blankie last night INSIDE the house? Yeah. Tita. I'm doomed. 

I booted her out the door this morning and closed the door to the building. I have my limits. I can't get attached. She/he (believe it or not I can't tell an inny from and outy on puppies) has to keep some of her wild flair, because I'm not walking a dog. I'm not. I am not going to worry if she's gone for several hours. I'm not going to jump up if I hear crying in the alley to see if the neighbors are hitting her. Yeah. No way. I'm too tough for that. How she knew from down in that alley that she would find a dog loving Arab in apartment 3 is a mystery. Bugger. 


Classy.


Luckiest dog in Salalah. Eatin' off me fine china.


Like I said, I made four cakes Saturday. I also made a cake the day I posted my thoughts about Peshawar, but couldn't bring myself to talk about it. Since I didn't get pics of the four amazing cakes Saturday, I will give you my recipe for chocolate frosting from last week. It's a nice frosting, light and easy to make. If you find a ganache or dark chocolate frosting too rich, this might be the frosting for you. It easily makes enough for a double layer cake. 

(stolen from Mel's Kitchen)

1 cup unsalted butter, softened but still a bit cool
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup (6 oz) good quality dark chocolate, melted and cooled to room temperature

Whip the butter on medium speed for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy. Gradually add the powdered sugar. Add the vanilla and continue whipping. Drizzle in the melted chocolate and continue whipping another 3 minutes. 

Frost cake. Voila!


My pictures are horrid as usual. I made two single layers..one for home and one for a friend. 


I am trying my best to blog, but my laptop isn't connecting. Anywhere. I do what I can at work, but it isn't really enough. Rest assured I am thinking all the time about topics, and bake much more now than I write about. I'm just not eating them. 

Love,

Felicia El Aid


No comments:

Post a Comment