Thursday, February 5, 2015

Cafe Dreams

You can't open a cafe if you regularly burn cake. And I routinely burn cakes. It gets discouraging, you know? For example, yesterday I found one egg in the refrigerator and googled "one egg cakes." Isn't Google great? I do have cookbooks and compilations of recipes in notebooks, but in a pinch googling is the way to go.

I found a one layer vanilla cake, whipped it up, added a titch of cinnamon, and popped it in the oven. I'd JUST taken another walnut bundt cake from the oven (MAJOR hit at home) and wanted to make something for my coworkers.

I set the timer. I did. The problem is I have a fancy shmancy phone now, and I've started playing Angry Birds Transformers (yes...oh the shame of it). The timer went off and I was almost through with this level. A couple more minutes couldn't hurt could it? Those two minutes were just enough to add a lovely black sheen to the top of the cake. Bugger.

I brought in a few slices of walnut cake for people I know haven't had any cake in ages. Picture starving hyenas when cake arrives at work...Darwinian rules apply in the cake world and the gentle and polite go cakeless. I am still behind (by two weeks) one caramel cake, another walnut cake, and a cake for my husband's good friend. Sunday I have on order a rainbow cake for a birthday party. Crikey!

So if I can't keep up with a few cakes a week, how would I ever do this as a business? The answer is I can't. I've learned. All those bakery/cafe dreams are totally unrealistic. I am a classroom teacher. That's it. Once this year of cakes is finished, I am sure I will continue to make them, but never as a real business. I need the money they bring in right now so my blog continues. Otherwise..nah.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go home soon and start baking. It's also Thursday, so who knows what adventures the night will bring. Perhaps I will dance with my husband. Lord knows no one else will now.



Weekends away from the damn oven.


1 1/3 cup flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 cup butter, softened to room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg, room temperature
1 t. vanilla
2/3 cup milk

I also added 1/2 tsp. cinnamon.

Preheat oven to 350/180. Grease and flour an 8 inch cake pan, a 8 inch square pan, or a 12 cup cupcake tin. I don't do cupcakes...they annoy me. So trendy and cute. Bite me.

Mix the butter and sugar on medium high until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the egg and beat until creamy, about 4 more minutes. Add the vanilla. Sift the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon and add half to creamed sugar. Add half the milk and blend in on low. Add the remaining flour and milk and mix until just incorporated. You don't want to mix too long at this point, as the cake will toughen. 

Bake 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. You might want to stay off your gaming system for this. Lesson learned eh?


Their cake. How cute! 


I dub thee "Angry Birds Cake."  It is resting in peace in a dustbin. 



As an aside, an added hint as it were, this is what happens when you invert a cake too soon. Let bundt cakes cool a good 20 minutes. I got impatient. This is a walnut bundt cake someone ordered (5 OMR by the way). My coworkers enjoyed the "mistake and so did I. Meh.

Keep asking for cake. Feel free. It keeps the blog going. Next time I think I will write about my couchsurfers. I know you can't wait!

Love,

Felicia El Aid





No comments:

Post a Comment