Friday, November 7, 2014

Are You A Fluffer?

I've passed by a number of recipes that call for Marshmallow Fluff. I've never seen it. Then, a few days ago, as if brought down like Moses's tablets from a holy mountain, laaaaaaaaaaa. (picture angelic singing). There is was in Carrefour. So why didn't I freakin buy it right then? I don't know.

I have a shopping list for this project about a foot long. I have every ingredient planned out for six weeks. But I get to the store and something comes over me. Exhaustion. Ennui. I get there and I just can't be arsed. Instead, I find myself going to the store every stinkin day. Clearly, I need to get hold of myself and get enough "stuff" to ride out the next couple weeks. Cause it isn't actually baking the cake that is tiring. It's getting ready to bake a cake. AND I DON'T HAVE A CAR!!!

Welp, I got to Carrefour and there was no Fluff. Neeevvvvver heard of it. You know where I saw it? Yeah. Lulus. Probably that Friday night I abandoned my cart. I'd hitched a ride with a kind neighbor, and he offered to take me to Lulus for the Fluff. I shook my head, mute with despair. I just couldn't. What surprised me is how much anxiety I felt about getting that one ingredient. Like, making the right cake scheduled for that particular day was a matter of life and death. I had people coming for bbq! What to do!

I decided to relax, dammit. I decided that to keep this commitment, I'd have to learn to be a bit flexible. I am not flexible. I keep a day planner in my handbag, with lists and appointments. Budget stuff. If someone changes plans on me, I have a small meltdown in my head. So deep breath, yogic breathing, and think flexible. I decided AS LONG AS THE CAKE IS ON THE LIST (I have the first 53 cakes chosen) I can substitute it. I chose the easiest cake of all. Ready made pound cake sandwiched with different ice creams and fruit. Delectable no?

Frozen Raspberry Layer Cake


Here is mine
teehee


Okay, so, the original recipe calls for raspberry sorbet. I couldn't find any. Substitute black currant ice cream. The original calls for raspberries. Carrefour has them. For about half my salary. Substitute frozen blueberries. I also don't have Chambord. Seriously? Girls gotta do and all that muck.


2       (10 3/4-ounce) frozen pound cakes, crusts removed, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick slices
 3      cup(s) vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
 4      cup(s) raspberry sorbet, slightly softened
1       pint(s) fresh raspberries, rinsed and picked over
 3      tablespoon(s) Chambord, or other raspberry-flavored liqueur


  1. Prepare the pan: Trace and cut out a 9-inch circle from parchment paper and fit it into the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan. Cut out a 3- by 27-inch strip of parchment and fit around the inside of the pan. Tape to secure parchment paper and set aside.
  2. Assemble the cake: Cover the bottom of the pan with a single layer of pound cake slices and spread the ice cream evenly over the cake. Freeze until ice cream hardens -- about 25 minutes. Spread 2 cups sorbet over the ice cream followed by another layer of pound cake slices. Return cake to the freezer for 10 minutes. Combine the raspberries and the Chambord together in a small bowl. Remove the cake pan from freezer and place the berries evenly over the cake. Top with a final layer of pound cake and the remaining sorbet. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and freeze until firm -- at least 4 hours.

Just so you know, I have the Fluff now. I can make the next cake on the list. And the next. And the next. Then I have to shop again. 

Love,

Felicia El Aid








No comments:

Post a Comment