Sunday, November 16, 2014

Plush Yogi At Your Service

I used to do a lot of yoga. I used to be the rock star of plump yogis. Please note: used to be. In 2012 I traveled to India for the first time. My life was definitely in a weird place after quitting my job and looking after my grandmother for nearly two years. I muddled through the financial stress with part time work at L.L.Bean (once my aunt came to help) and just...survived.

I originally got a gander to go to India after talking to someone about cosmetic surgery in Bangalore. I was still solvent at the time, and I longed to have a tummy tuck. Oh how I yearned. I researched, and researched, and researched. I talked to a surgeon there, and then another. It was quite a process. But really, one day I just snapped. I had a visa that would run out in a few weeks, so I bought a ticket with my smart phone whilst having lunch at Ruby Tuesday. My aunt was a bit shocked. I was no longer solvent, so I bought a ONE WAY TICKET and just kinda hoped something would save my butt for the return home. Clearly I was a woman on the edge.

The yoga teacher at my hotel in Kovalam kept asking me to take classes. I absolutely freakin refused. I told him, "I'm too fat." He sighed and said you are not. "I will start you at the beginning. You can do this." I never did start yoga on that particular trip. I went swimming, read the newspaper on my porch, listened to the rats squabble at night, and didn't bother with much of anything.


The view from my porch. Twas my fate to stay in a pink hotel.

But when I got back to Maine? Whew baby. I went with a friend to Panacea Yoga Studio (yes that is a boost cause the teacher is the best) and that yoga stuff just TOOK. I bought an unlimited pass and went to every class she did, usually twice a day. Even that fast vinyasa flow crap was on my list. I sweated, then relaxed, and lost over 20 kilos. I stopped eating much, to the distress of my future plastic surgeon, who thought possibly I'd lost my mind. I went back to India, to the same yogi, and asked him to work with me. I thought I was pretty great at that yoga stuff.

He told me I didn't know anything. That yoga isn't exercise and my breathing was rubbish. I told him I would cooperate with whatever he said to do. Just help me. It was like training for the Indian Army. Yoga at dawn, which made me want to kill him, followed by a 6 km walk, then a banana. I remember trying to sneak some cookies and throwing the packet at the hotel receptionist when the yoga teacher saw me. Crikey!

For the first time in my life, I had thigh muscles. I could walk uphill for quite a distance. Then I came to Salalah, and stopped moving. Those of you who live in Salalah may know the effect it can have on motivation. Sadly, things are not as they were, but I'm trying. Not very hard though. I've once again organized classes at the Salalah Plaza Hotel, and at a friend's house for "ladies only." Things hurt though. Poses I could do with no problem just feel awful. I hope I find my mojo for yoga again soon. For the first time in my life, I'd found something I could do, something that made me feel good. Here's hoping eh? And if you are in Salalah, feel free to join us. Heck it's a good old stretch even if the teacher (moi) aint what she used to be!

Tonight's cake is a vanilla cake with a blueberry filling. I am winging it with the filling, but the recipe I used is one published by Hannaford grocers, or "the Hannafeds" as Mainers call it. As in, "I have to go down ta the Hannafeds."


2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup Whole milk
10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
5 each egg
2 1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon Fresh lemon peel, finely grated-I just squeezed some lemon into it.
2 teaspoon vanilla extract (divided)
3 cup cold heavy cream
1/4 cup Confectioners` sugar
2 1/2 cup Fresh blueberries (wild or cultivated, rinsed and drained well)-I used frozen, thawed out
1.Preheat oven to 350degreesF. Spray two 9-inch round cake pans with vegetable cooking spray. Line the bottoms with parchment paper and spray the paper.
2. Prepare the cake. In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
3. In a medium saucepan, heat milk and butter over medium heat until butter melts and mixture is hot. Remove from heat.
4. In a large bowl, use an electric mixer on high speed to beat the eggs and sugar until fluffy, thick, and lightened in color, about 2 minutes. Mix in the lemon zest and vanilla. On low speed, mix in flour mixture to blend. Slowly add hot milk mixture, mixing on low speed until batter is smooth and blended. Pour batter into prepared pans, dividing it evenly. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
5. Cool pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then run a knife around the edges of the cakes to loosen. Invert each onto a wire rack. Discard the paper liners. Turn the cakes right side up to cool completely, about 1 hour.
6. When cakes are cool, prepare the topping. In a large bowl, beat the cream, confectioners' sugar, and vanilla, using an electric mixer on high speed, until firm peaks form, about 6 to 10 minutes. Be careful not to overbeat.
7. Put 2 cups of the topping in a medium bowl and fold in 1 cup of the blueberries. Place one cake layer on a serving plate. Tuck waxed paper strips an inch or so under the bottom of the cake all the way around to keep the plate clean. Leaving a 1/2 inch uncovered around the edge, spread the blueberry toppingover the top of the cake layer.
8. Carefully place second cake layer over filling. Spread remaining plain topping over the top and sides of cake. Arrange remaining 11/2 cups of blueberries on top of the cake. Gently pull out and discard the paper strips. To make it easier to slice, chill cake at least 30 minutes. Use a large sharp knifeto cut the cake, then serve cold.

Their cake. Mine won't resemble this in the slightest.

I used a standard vanilla buttercream recipe:

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
3-4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2-3 tablespoons milk, heavy cream, or half-and-half

Put butter and sugar in a mixer and whip the bejabbers out of it. Add vanilla and cream and whip for a few minutes until light and fluffy. Add a bit more sugar if necessary, until it is the consistency you desire. 

I did frost the cake as seen, throwing the blueberries in the middle. 


My cake. I am pretty dang pleased with it. I can't show you the inside (probably a good thing) because my husband's boss pre-ordered a cake. This is good, because now I can buy more butter. 


Now tis time for bed. I facilitated a yoga class tonight, and my stuff hurts. A lot. 

Love,

Felicia El Aid



No comments:

Post a Comment