Saturday, November 15, 2014

That's Amore

I can't dang believe I missed the camel beauty pageant  up in Thumrait. Just cannot freakin believe it. I finally have a legit man person to accompany me, and it passes me by again. Curses! I want to see camel races, and camel milking competititons, and yes...a camel beauty pageant. Salalah people LOVE their camels. Alas, the festival is over for another year.
Who can resist them? (thanks Joanne..)
I am comforting myself at the Hilton. My wedding reception was here a year ago tomorrow night. A year ago, I put on a frothy pink gown with insufferable shoes and walked into the garden here on the arm of one of my best friends (now a married man himself) to an Eddie Veder tune. But I digress...I have tomorrow to blog about the wedding, and I know you will all tune in because you are RIVETED!

For tonight, we are staying at the hotel. I love staying in hotels. Not those soulless horrors by the side of the American interstates that accomodate desperate long distance drivers. Nay nay nay. And although I would love to stay in chic bed and breakfasts, I suspect those will always be out of our financial reach. No, I am talking about decent chains, like the Hiltons or the Rotanas of the world.

I love the little soaps in a box and the tiny shampoos. I love the plastic wrapped slippers and the robe hanging on the bathroom door. Mostly, I love those little welcome baskets of snackies. Here, you get a Galaxy bar (heaven) and a sizeable bag of Chips Oman, among other things. Oh the pleasure of digging into snacks you didn't give a grocer money for yourself. Deep down, you know that stuff isn't free, but it FEELS free. Until you pay a hotel mini bar bill of 40 bucks. Then those chips wanna make a fast exit.

People have teased us a bit about coming to stay at a hotel about 4 km from our home. Why? Why pay money to stay at a hotel when you live right here? They clearly don't understand the comfort of lying in a cushy king size bed with sheets I don't have to smooth out myself. Ok...true...my cleaner actually changes the sheets for me when he comes, and I don't actually MAKE the bed in the  morning. What's the point?

When I saw the advert for Dhofar residents, I fired off a message to the sales manager at the Hilton. I, you guessed it, couldn't be arsed to call myself, so I asked him to walk over to the reception desk and make them for me. He is a very occasional yoga attendee (another day people, another day) and so of course he obliged me. You know what? He GAVE US A JUNIOR SUITE!! We had a couch! A big television! A bathtub! It was grand.

I am such a farmer. Truly I am.

I have to go back to the Hilton soon, because of all the pleasures available there, I still haven't had a cronut.

Before leaving for my night of amour, I did bake a blinkering cake. It was brilliant.

Their cake.


My cake. Nailed it! It was sold. Basically my husband calls a friend and orders them to buy a cake. It's pretty funny. 


1 1/2 cup(s) sifted cake flour
1/3 cup(s) Dutch-process cocoa
1 teaspoon(s) baking soda
1 cup(s) sugar 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
1 cup(s) strong brewed coffee, warm
1/3 cup(s) light olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
1 tablespoon(s) aged balsamic vinegar

Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly coat an 8-inch round cake pan with softened butter and dust with all-purpose flour. Set aside. Whisk the cake flour, cocoa, baking soda, sugar, and salt together in a large bowl and set aside. Stir the coffee, oil, vanilla, and vinegar together and whisk into the flour mixture just until smooth.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake in the center rack of the oven until a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean — 25 to 30 minutes. Cool completely in the pan on a wire rack. 
Serve the cake, iced with about 1 cup Deep Chocolate Glaze. Cake can also be served plain alongside whipped cream or coffee ice cream.

Chocolate Glaze
8 ounce(s) (1 1/3 cups)bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
4 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter, cold
1 tablespoon(s) corn syrup ( I didn’t bother…just isn’t necessary)
1  cup(s) (plus 2 tablespoons) heavy cream

Place the chocolate, butter, and corn syrup in a medium-size heatproof bowl. Bring the cream to a boil and pour it over the chocolate. Gently stir, using a whisk, until smooth. Use immediately.

I do believe I will make Elvis's favorite whipped cream pound cake later today. For now, I need to go eat some pizza on my own couch and pretend I give a hoot about football. It is, after all, my anniversary.

Love,

Felicia El Aid




No comments:

Post a Comment